Moving Forwards: Practice as Research in Dance
University of Northampton, Avenue Gallery
Wednesday 23rd Feb, 1.00pm-5.30pm
Moving Forwards offers the opportunity to investigate current agendas in PaR across Dance Practices. The event will include presentations and debate by the following leaders in the field: Prof Sarah Whatley (University of Coventry), Dr Sita Popat (University of Leeds), Dr. Simon Ellis (University of Roehampton), Dr. Vida Midgelow (University of Northampton) and Dr. Jane Bacon (University of Northampton).
There will also time for open discussion in which we seek to address some of the ongoing and emerging issues such as:
- what are the particular issues facing and being experienced by Practice led Dance researchers?
- how might PaR be further articulated / disseminated?
- how can ‘non’-performance focused or improvised practices etc be developed and supported in PaR frameworks?
- what methodologies are emerging for PaR in dance?
- what are the particular concerns raised by different modes of doctoral study related to Dance practice? (PhDs by practice / publication / and Dprofs etc)
The Choreographic Lab at University of Northampton has played a central role in the debates around PaR in Dance and is a hub of excellence for practice led researchers in dance. Currently we are supporting the work of more than 20 Practice-led PhD students in dance and related fields. This event coincides with Sensualities, a joint exhibition by Jane M Bacon and Vida L Midgelow at Avenue Gallery (UoN) and launches the new Choreographic Practices Journal (due out late Jan 2011)
This event is free and light refreshments will be provided. Places are limited, to reserve of place please contact Paul.Cureton@northampton.ac.uk
Venue: The University of Northampton, Avenue Gallery, Avenue Campus, St George’s Avenue, Northampton, NN2 6JD